The latest in SciFi, Fantasy and Comic News and Reviews

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Who wants a remake of The Prisoner? David Peoples - Screenwriter Extraordinaire


I found this great post about David Peoples, the screenwriter of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner on screenwriting and the trials of writing for hollywood.

Blade Runner Screenwriter David Peoples on Rewrites

What was really interesting about the interview is Peoples mentions he has written a script based on the 1970's TV show The Prisoner. I was thinking about the show the other day because The Maze of Death by Philip K Dick reminds me of the show. I think a adaptation of the story is definitely due! Apparently Peoples had talks with Christopher Nolan (Inception) to direct the film but the deal fell through. I really hope this script finds a home. It would be a treat I would pay to see.

There was a remake of the show created with Ian McKellan released on ITV in spring. I didn't watch it because my mum (along with the rest of the world) said not to bother. The plot was significantly changed, including the character focus and everything that made the original iconic. Alot of criticism was given to attempting to remake a TV series (it never works) but I think adapting the storiy into a different medium would be a great, especially with a decent writer and director attached.

I am watching this space... I wonder if the old series is on youtube?

No comments:

Post a Comment